Friday, September 22, 2017

Winged Wizard Elizabeth Rose Stanton and a PRIZE!

Elizabeth Rose Stanton's work merges beautiful delicate lines with soft, warm, colors. The kinds of characters she creates remind me of cute stuffed animals children cuddle with in bed. Her work in watercolor is absolutely lovely, though she says she hadn't worked in watercolor before her books. Though only two books in, Elizabeth already is making a big name for herself!

Elizabeth's first book "Henny"was released in 2014 and has created a lot of buzz. "Peddles" was just released last year. "Bub" is set to release in January 2018.

----

Dani: How did you develop your current style of illustration?

First watercolor sketch idea for Henny and her mom
.


Elizabeth: The “short” answer is that I have been developing my art and working on techniques all along, starting with having been trained as an architect (before computers), and working variously as a portrait and fine artist. All roads, over time, have led to building picture books!

Final painting for Henny and her mom.
The “long” answer is that I actually backed into it! Historically, I worked in pen and ink, gouache, and pastel. But when my art director at Simon & Schuster for Henny asked for a quick sketch to get an idea of color (since the book dummy had been in pencil), for some inexplicable reason I decided to use pencil and watercolor. They loved it! So I felt I had to commit, even though I hadn’t really worked to any degree in traditional watercolor. I have grown inordinately fond of it and I think it’s been a good match up for my stories.

From Henny (Simon & Schuster 2014)

Dani: Which is harder for you, writing or illustration?

Elizabeth: If you ask me this when I’m writing, I will tell you it’s writing. If you ask me when I’m illustrating, I will tell you it’s illustrating. That said, along the way I have had fun with both. I do love wordplay, and when the art is finally done it’s very satisfying.

This spread from Peddles was the most fun I’ve had so far with watercolor. Painting these cowboy boots was a hoot!

From Peddles (Simon & Schuster 2016)

But that’s not to say there aren’t frustrations and challenges. I must have painted ten “starry skies” to get a match up for these consecutive spreads for Peddles:

From Peddles (Simon & Schuster 2016)


From Peddles (Simon & Schuster 2016)

Dani: How do you believe being both a writer and illustrator has influenced your career?

Bub (Simon & Schuster, January 16, 2018)
Elizabeth: I am a late bloomer when it comes to picture books. I have had other careers, and they all have centered on drawing and art. I have a solid liberal arts undergraduate education, and I started out professionally an architect before a segue over to fine art and portraiture while I was raising my kids . . . so all of these things have, in fact, influenced my career as an author and illustrator.

What I know now, though, is if I hadn’t begun this whole adventure with an eye on illustration, I don’t think I would be writing picture books. Wanting to illustrate led me directly to writing for children!


Dani: Do you have any advice for discouraged pre-published people that both write and illustrate?

Elizabeth: Obviously, keep at it! But I also think there is something to be said for not forcing it. Try not to have expectations. We all have advantages and disadvantages, and we all have life experiences that steer us along our roads to storytelling. Put your best out there, but don’t stress too much about it along the way. Don’t give up, and know that if it’s meant to happen, it will. Even if I hadn’t become published, I still think I would be at it. This quote pretty much sums it up for me:


Dani:  Is there anything else you’d like to share?

Elizabeth: Thank you for asking!

My next picture book, BUB will be released this coming January, and is up for pre-order now. And there’s another in the pipeline! Cowie is slated for an early 2020 release, both with Simon & Schuster (Paula Wiseman Books).

Thanks for having me, Dani!



Elizabeth Rose Stanton


Elizabeth Rose Stanton began her picture book writing and illustrating adventure a few years ago, after a brief career as an architect, and long career as a parent and fine artist. Her debut book, Henny, received an ALA Booklist star, and was named as one of the best books of 2014 for children by The New York Public Library. The School Library Journal called her second book, Peddles, “quietly wonderful,” and the illustrations, “a thing of beauty.” Her next picture book, Bub, will be released in January 2018. Elizabeth grew up New York and now lives in Seattle with her husband and a trio of Scottish Fold cats.

Elizabeth is represented by Joanna Volpe of New Leaf Literary and Media


Follow Elizabeth:


Website: http://www.penspaperstudio.com

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/elizabeth.r.stanton

Twitter: @ElizRoseStanton

Instagram: @elizabethrosestanton

Pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/penspaperstudio

@%@%@%@%@% 

PRIZE

One lucky winner will win copies of Henny and Peddles, one each, signed (and will throw in a copy of Bub,too, if the winner is willing to wait until January).

In order to win this prize you must..

- Finish your dummy this month!

- Let Elizabeth know how much you liked her post below!

22 comments:

  1. Your children's book illustrations are divine, Elizabeth! Good luck with the release of Bub in January.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful to hear from another 'late bloomer!' I didn't really discover the magic of picture books until after my sons left home. Thankfully a friendly librarian opened my eyes to their magic qualities and I've been hooked every since. I love your advice to not stress and not have expectations ... Can't wait to see your latest book, Bub!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hooray, Phyllis! So happy you are on the path of discovery. And, yes to no stress! Good luck with everything and thanks for the kind words.

      Delete
  3. Such elegant illustrations! Thank you for the encouraging words (from another late bloomer!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's hear it for late bloomers! Thanks so much for the elegant comment, Shelly! ;)

      Delete
  4. What charming characters you've created, Elizabeth. Your post has inspired me to get out my watercolors. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear it, C.L.! Watercolors are challenging but so seductive. Have fun!

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the wonderful post Elizabeth! Your characters and watercolour work look darling ❤

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the inspiration and information Elizabeth. I love your illustrations and soft color palette!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your style is so true to your lovely characters. You really practice what you preach!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I very much appreciate this observation, Icrackham. Thank you!

      Delete
  8. I love the soft texture and color palate mixed with fun compositions of your illustrations. Thank you for sharing. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, at the end of the day, all about the FUN! Thanks so much, Brittanny!

      Delete
    2. Fun! Got to remember to be playful and enjoy my work πŸ˜‚

      Delete
  9. I love your characters Elizabeth, especially the adorable little Peddles. Thank you for the encouragement and inspiration. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peddles and I very much appreciate that you do, Heidi. I'm so glad you find it all helpful!

      Delete
  10. I loved the watercolour illustration of the boots for peddles! thanks for sharing your knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post. I too am a lover of watercolors. They are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you Elizabeth for this post! I appreciate what you had to say about not forcing it and just enjoying the process. Your art is so sweet and whimsical! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete