Friday, September 8, 2017

Homestead Artist, Teresa Robeson and a PRIZE!



Teresa Robeson is an absolutely wonderful and fun person to know. I am very jealous of Teresa, because every time I turn around she has something yummy posted on her Facebook page or blog. I don't know how anyone can be so good at gardening, cooking, writing and illustrating at once. I don't know, but I'm hoping one day I can catch up -- Teresa has inspired me to create a garden of my own.

I adore Teresa's inked drawings! (You can see these on her blog.) Ink may look easy, but I assure you it is not easy to create such exquisite drawings in ink! Her paintings are just fantastic and the figures in her work are so adorable. Check out her website to see more of her work!


Be sure to check at the end of this post for a PRIZE!



------


Thank you, Dani, for asking me to share my process in this year’s Smart Dummies challenge!

Hi everyone!

People sometimes think that the challenges to being a writer and an artist are different than for being solely a writer or artist, but I don’t feel like that’s the case. Three things that help me whether I’m writing or illustrating, or both simultaneously, are:

1. Do away with your inner editor/critic. During the beginning stages of writing or sketching out your dummies, lock your inner editor/critic in the dark closet of your mind, or send it to the vast expanse of the Gobi desert without a map or compass. Don’t let it influence or obstruct that initial burst of creativity. Let your ideas flow onto the page unhindered by the nagging voice of perfectionism. When you let your editor back out, or when it finds its way back from another continent, it can help you sort out and organize the beautiful mess

2. Write and/or draw daily. Although it’s been said many times, many ways (did I get you singing “Merry Christmas toooo yoooou”?), it bears repeating. Carry a notebook with you at all times and, throughout the day, do doodles or jot down little phrases you hear or think of that please you. I confess I often forget to tote a notebook with me and I could kick myself when I think of all the gems I’ve missed. Also, I firmly believe that, like with sports, you can only get better at writing and art if you do it daily…even if it’s only to write one sentence in a much-neglected journal. To encourage you to pick up this habit, I’m giving away a notebook and a Faber-Castell PITT marker.

3. Take classes to keep learning. Nobody knows it all…and that goes double for those who claim to know it all. While there are a ton of classes available out there, the ones I highly recommend for writers-illustrators are Joy Chu’s Illustrating Books for Children and Arree Chung’s Storyteller Academy; for illustrators: Giuseppe Catellano’s The Illustration Department; and for writers: Susanna Hill’s Making Picture Book Magic for a strong grounding in story structure, and Renee LaTulippe’s Lyrical Language Lab to make your language as beautiful as it can possibly be. I also want to recommend Skillshare where you can subscribe for a month or a year at a time and have unlimited access to thousands of cool courses, many of them for writers or illustrators and artists but also just as many on other topics such as how to run a freelance business or how to sell your wares on Etsy, etc. It’s an absolute wealth of info.
Follow Teresa:

Website: http://www.teresarobeson.com/
Blog: https://teresarobeson.wordpress.com/
Society 6: https://society6.com/teresarobeson
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/tmrobeson/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/TeresaRobeson
Her food blog: http://homesteadnotes.blogspot.ca/

@%@%@%@%@%

PRIZE!


Teresa is giving away a notebook and a Faber-Castell PITT marker to one lucky winner!

To win this prize you have to comment on this post below!

25 comments:

  1. It's not that blank piece of paper that stops my creativity. It's that negative monster sitting on my shoulder that won't stop criticizing. Lack of confidence is my undoing! I feel like your article was aimed straight for me and I paid attention. Practice daily and take classes, both are do-able and well worth trying! Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phyllis, ban that evil negative monster (the one some people nicely call the "inner editor") at once! :) Do it for the joy of creating and don't let self-criticism destroy that joy. The more you work at it, the better you will get. Even the most accomplished authors/artists I know feel like imposters sometimes, so you are not alone. Thank you for commenting!

      Delete
  2. It DOES need repeating! Practice, practice, practise! Thank you for that reminder Teresa, and your artwork IS very beautiful!��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shelly, right? I remind myself of it regularly. :D Thanks so much for the compliment and for commenting!

      Delete
  3. Thank you for inspiring me to start doodling every day, Teresa! I love your style!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank *you*, C.L.! Yes, do doodle daily. To keep myself on the habit, I use both my regular blog and Instagram so I'd have to have accountability. :)

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the inspirational post Teresa! And beautiful work too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you'll take up the daily creating habit, Danette! Thanks so much!

      Delete
  5. How great to see you here Teresa! Great post. Wonderful suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, hi, Louann! Always a pleasure to run into you! Thank you; I know you probably already practice daily. :)

      Delete
  6. Our sketchbooks are a favorite companion!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! You are way ahead of the game, then. :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. Thank you for sharing these great tips Teresa. I agree that continuing to learn is an important part of the creative process. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't remember who said it (Ford? Edison?) but the saying goes, you don't stop learning because you grow old; you grow old because you stop learning. Let's never grow old. ;) Thanks for commenting, Heidi!

      Delete
  8. Great post, Teresa. You've inspired me to add words and sentences to my daily sketching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm so glad! I hope it will be a good, life-long habit for you. :)

      Delete
  9. Love everything on your Instagram Teresa. I look forward to the daily posts :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello there! Awesome post ! Sending large hug and a high five virtually!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Teresa, your post encourages me to keep trying. Thank you for posting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great, Lynette! Definitely keep creating. Best of luck! :)

      Delete
  12. Thank you Teresa for this post! I've been struggling with my inner critic while getting initial sketches down for the book dummy challenge and your reminder to lock (her) away is perfect timing! Thanks too for the course suggestions.:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really need to work on the art of practicing EVERY day. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete